Tuesday, April 27, 2010

ARCH1201- Project 2: Concept Design + Initial Ideas

INSPIRATION
Ice Cubes: "An interesting characteristic of commercially made ice cubes is that they are completely clear, lacking the clouding found in the center of domestically made ice cubes." (Source from Wikipedia)

GEOMETRY: The heavy use of abstract geometry on the facade of (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, Melbourne was the main source of influence for my initial idea. This facade appears to be chaotic, disjointed and irregular. I intend to create a similar type of space for my character based on these ideas.

Possible Site:
I chose this valley as the site for my project because of its openness and beautiful views. Although the character in my project cannot physically experience this piece of land externally due to her confinement in a 'glass box,' it serves as an outlook for her to reflect and contemplate. Furthermore, this wide expanse of land evokes a sense of mystery and uncertainty, which is the sort of atmosphere I intend for my character to experience. It is unclear what this piece of land is used for, as there is no sign of human habitation. However, the limitless extent of the horizon and skies suggests endless possibilities for my character, if she ever has the chance to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment